Sunday, March 4, 2012

Weekly Writing Check-In: This is the scene that never ends~

Well. You may or may not remember my self-challenge to write 25k in February. I didn't keep track of how much I wrote, but it definitely wasn't 25k. Probably more around 15k. But that's still 15k more than I had before.

Right now I'm in the midst of trying to finish up what is thus far the longest scene in the draft. Stuff just keeps happening, and my brain is starting to get numb trying to keep together  what happens next and who's supposed to say what and drop what hints about future plot crap. Thus I've had to break it up into chunks to write, which means I don't get as much done. Or at least it doesn't feel like it. But eh.

Starting this week, it's back to editing the final draft for CROSS//Rebirth. After I feel I've done a sufficient amount of editing I'll get back to writing on the first draft for CROSS//Revenge. But I won't start editing until I finish this damn scene.

Ever feel like the scene you're writing is just never going to end? (Yeah, I write in order. That's not going to change. Like, ever.)

8 comments:

  1. I admire you for writing in order :) I avoid the hard stuff and just write willy-nilly... and it's probably not helpful. Although Scrivener has certainly made putting things back in order easier. Even so, I can run into the problem of a scene that never seems finished... it just keeps going and going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't write out of order, haha. It just makes no sense in my head. If I write out of order I end up having to change the chronologically later scenes so much to match what happens in the scenes before it. I wrote one scene from the third book in the series because I Just Had To and it's already slated to be totally redone because everything's changed in those characters. I just can't excuse the time taken to write them like that =P

      Delete
  2. I've had that happen. Sometimes I just keep on writing then go back, find an area that could suffer being broken from the rest, split it and see if it still makes sense. Other times I leave it as is. No one said there was a set word count for scenes.

    I used to write willy-nilly, now it's in order or nothing. I find the easy scenes tend to stay in my head and are a bit of a reward for getting to that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's pretty much how I see it too. I'm pretty much rewarding myself by the time I get to those scenes I've been fantasizing about (literally) for months or even years. Usually for the scenes that are dragging I end up just rushing through them, getting the main ideas down, and then go back later during the edits and rewrites and make them more up to par.

      Delete
  3. I write in order. If I think of something I want to happen later, then I will add it to my 'notes document' and then keep writing in order. Like you I find it a waste of time to write out of sequence because things always change and you end up re-writing it anyway.

    I still haven't conquered my fear of working on more than one novel at once. I have outlined my 2nd, but just can't start writing until this one is finished. I'll eventually get over that, I hope, but for now it is one at a time for me. So kudos, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't not work on more than one novel at a time, ha. I need another one on the backup just in case I get sick of working on the current one! :P

      Delete
  4. Good for you - you're going the right way about it. No point in charging forward and then finding that you've rushed the whole thing. Take it easy, tidy up as you go. Well done. I made the mistake of taking part on NanoWriMo last year. I know it works for most people, but I wrote reams and then found it was rubbish :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually swear on Nano for helping me get drafts done, but at least in that case you've only "wasted" one month. I worked on that scene for about two weeks.

      Delete

Thank you for the comments! I always try to reply to comments, but I mostly do so in my blog here - so if you'd like to know of any replies I give you, be sure to subscribe to the post by email!