Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Life in Which Writing Is Never a Priority

A day or so ago The Golden Eagle made a post in which she asked, "Would you write if you knew you'd never be published?" Of course I thought about it and subsequently replied, but my reply made me think a lot about the role of writing in my life...especially now.

My reply was basically "Yes, but not as much." More complicated than that, as I will get into further here soon. As most of you know now, I'm recently unemployed (by choice) and living with my parents again (by choice...well, er, kinda. I have money but no income so I don't feel like wasting my savings, you know? Especially when I still have loans.) I live in a dinky little town in super rural Oregon where jobs are non-existent, and I don't drive let alone have a car. This means I've got a lot of free time. And since my dream has always been to be a successful published author...well guess what I'm working towards full steam now? Yup. Publishing.

So, if I knew by some whim that I would never be published, would I still write? Look, I am not Idealist Hildred. I'm more certainly not Optimistic Hildred. I am Realist Hildred, to the core of  my little blackened no1curr soul. No. No I would not. I would be out there hitting the pavement harder than ever, pushing myself into random people's houses in the valley looking for a 9-5 to make ends meet and find some sort of direction for my financial future. Because writing is my job. It's my career. Without publishing I don't have much chance at a good career.

My dream is to not only be successful financially, but successful because people like my work as well. Because they look forward to the next book I want to publish. Without being published I have no future dreams, or at least nothing as strong and important to me. I would still write, of course, because it's the best, but it would be a back-burner hobby. At best I would write a page a week, instead a few a day. And be pretty miserable at my 9-5, more than likely.

Thank God I'm going to be published, eh?

What about you, in case you don't follow The Eagle?

7 comments:

  1. Probably, because writing started as a way to get through the stress of my day.

    The whole hey-I-should-publish thought came after I realized that I have a wonderful story idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say really for myself, since I've been wanting to write and be read since before kindergarten. But I used to write on the computer everyday for fun after school, until of course I got older and real life took over, drastically cutting back the writing time. S'kinda what I figure it would be like.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I didn't know you were back from Japan. Glad I stopped in, and welcome back home! Keep on pushing on the writing. I'm sure it will all come together for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome. Yup, it's been over a month now since I got back home. Doesn't feel that long though!

      Delete
  3. I understand what you mean. I would still write, but I wouldn't push myself as hard if I knew it would never be published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there just wouldn't be time to push myself hard. Writing would be a hobby, and I don't push myself in my hobbies as a general rule.

      Delete
  4. I would probably still write, but I wouldn't have the motivation to edit or polish anything I wrote.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! I always try to reply to comments, but I mostly do so in my blog here - so if you'd like to know of any replies I give you, be sure to subscribe to the post by email!