Monday, November 5, 2012

Open Call For Questions About Japan, For New Blogging Series

Source: Me. (A view from Gujo City, Gifu)

I've decided to start a little weekly (or maybe bi-weekly) blogging series about life in Japan, both from an academic point and from a living-there-as-a-foreigner point. I mean, why not? It's my major area of study since puberty, damnit.

So to get a jump on some ideas of what to post, I'm opening this first post for questions you might like to see answered about Japanese language and culture from a general view, or a more specific and gritty look at getting a job there (and keeping it) and getting around as a foreigner. Please keep in mind though that I can only answer generic questions about the language - most of its intricacies are still beyond me!

You can look forward to the first blog post sometime this week. I was thinking about either queer life in Japan or Japanese naming conventions. What say you?

5 comments:

  1. I'm also fascinated with Japanese culture, ever since I met a girl in university who introduced me to Sailor Moon in the original Japanese with subtitles (it loses a lot when dubbed). Her name was Yukiko Monique and her mother was Japanese while her father was Canadian WASP.

    I vote for Japanese naming conventions. I know a bit about them, but it's always interesting to learn more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sailor Moon is the gateway drug to everything, man.

      Yukiko Monique is a pretty interesting name!

      Delete
  2. Sounds great. I love Japan! I lived and worked there five years ago and miss it all the time. I would love to go back. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queer life in Japan is always an interest, but so is daily life. What are some daily customs that are different from North America? What are the shops and restaurants like? When I first learned about the layout of a Japanese apartment, I thought that was interesting so something like that would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote an article a while back about restaurants in Japan. Okay, it's about how to use them, but it's basically the same thing, lol.

      http://hildred.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Eat-Out-At-a-Restaurant-in-Japan

      Delete

Thank you for the comments! I always try to reply to comments, but I mostly do so in my blog here - so if you'd like to know of any replies I give you, be sure to subscribe to the post by email!